Last Saturday I woke up with a sore heel. Just a spot at the front of the heel, along the bottom of the foot. Legacy of my past issues with Planar Fasciitis. On the urging of Hare, I made an appointment with a foot specialist for next Tuesday with a view to getting some proper orthotics for running.
Saturday, April 14, 2007
Planar Fasciitis is not a noodle soup
So I thought I'd limp down Memory Lane today discussing my experiences with Planar Fasciitis and dispensing free advice.
I first discovered Planar Fasciitis a day after running Toronto's Scotiabank 1/2 Marathon last September.
During the run, around the 12 km mark, I remember feeling an odd sensation like my feet had gone flat -- no pain but no arch. I concentrated on keeping the arch in my foot and after a few minutes, the sensation passed. Since there was no pain, I didn't think it was a big deal at the time -- just odd. The rest of the day, I was fine.
The next day, I was sore all over, which I was expecting. Not expected, I was limping, favouring my left foot. The rest of my pain faded over the course of the day but not that of my foot.
The second day, I was informed by friends who know more than I (or at least who've had more injuries than I) that it was likely planar and I should be icing my foot.
TIP #1: Hare advised that I buy a package of frozen peas and a "cling-wrap" bandage for the job because the peas will conform to the shape of the foot. I felt a better use of the money was mixed vegetables as I'm not that fond of peas but Hare declared that she wasn't planning to eat anything that had been strapped to my foot and that peas were cheaper. Cheapness won out.
TIP #2: the time to start icing the foot was the day of the run before the pain set in. This is now part of my standard Run Recovery Program (TM).
The third day, I was noticeably better although still limping. I went to see a doctor who's advice was "wait it out.... want some good pain killers?".
TIP #3: clinic doctors always give me bad advice and I regret the visits. Years ago, when I had problems with my wrists and my hands would go numb for long periods of time, a clinic doctor advised pain killers and hustled me out the door. Did you know they try to average 5 minutes @ patient? Your mileage may vary.
The fourth day, I was largely fine. Still iced the foot everyday for 2-3 weeks, though.
I still haven't eaten the peas. They may show up on the menu the next time we have dinner guests but Hare doesn't know that.
Posted by
Tortis
at
8:35 PM
Labels: frozen peas, heel, icing, orthotics, Planar Fasciitis, recovery, right foot, run, Scotiabank 1/2 Marathon
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment