Sunday, January 6, 2008

Today was ok. I got out and did 2 hours meandering around the unfamiliar neighbourhood next to us. Not sure how much I did but probably around 14k. My goal is long and slow so I'm not worried about distance.

One nice thing about obscure streets is there's no traffic so you can run down the middle of them. Which is important as most roads are curved so water flows to the edges. Running along the edge of a road over long distances can cause problems as one leg is stretching farther than the other.

Now, one could run along the sidewalk, and I often do, but pavement is softer than concrete and that too will make a difference over the long haul.

My other observation today was the difference gels make.

Normally, I have a bagel with peanut butter washed down with two cups of coffee before heading out. Today was a bowl of raisin bran and Vector with coffee.

I was feeling really run down after about half-an-hour. I had my "45 minute" gel at the 30 minute mark and perked up a few minutes later. Experienced a similar result at around 1:15 when I had another gel.

The things must be loaded with sugar.

No comments: